Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Gospel, Politics, and the Poor

When we were in Rochester, NY after grad school, we went to a new church. The pastor's name is David Whiting (I think). He was starting a series called, "the Gospel, Politics, and the Poor" (or something like that). Not only was he an EXCELLENT speaker, but he was so honest and intellegent. Chad and I were very challenged to see the poor around us and to help meet their physical needs as well as spiritual needs. Some stats that struck me: 25,000 people die every day of hunger or hunger related causes. 3 billion people have to survive on $2/day. To satisfy the world's sanitation and food problems would cost the US only $13 billion. Americans spend $12 billion on coffee each year. This year alone, Americans will spend over $11o billion on fast food. Does that just seem wrong to anyone else? It makes you think doesn't it?? Where can I help? What can I do? It would take so little to help SO many.
Today we all went to Target. As we left and were getting into a car, a man approached us. He said, "I promise I am not a begger or do drugs, but my car over here is almost out of gas and I have no money to put into it. Could you please help me put a couple of gallons in it? "
My heart broke for the man. Chad and I followed him to the gas station and we put gas in his beat up old car. As I was inside, Chad and he were talking. The man showed Chad his college diploma (he was very proud of it), but had recently been laid off of his job as a fork lifter.
After the man had profusely thanked us, he left. I sat thinking for quite some time. How often do I complain about my car or things that I have when God has given me EVERYTHING I NEED? Would I of even noticed this man had he not approached us? My mind quickly went to the sermon we heard in Rochester. So many around us are hurting! What can I do to help? Why is my first thought when someone asks me for money is "will they just spend it on alcohol or drugs?" Shame on me for not seeing the needy, the hurting, the poor. I pray that God opens my eyes to more people of this world and of Auburn. These people need our love...they need God's love.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, love following you and your precious family on here! Robb and I really loved our year going to North and miss it so much! Glad to hear you were challenged by it and were such a blessing to someone through it! We miss you guys and will be praying for you all and your new little one!
    tab

    ReplyDelete